The Monastery-palace complex
Location: Rudy Bicycle trails: 287 - black
Tourist route: - Husarii Polskiej
It is a former Cistersciences’ monastery, founded in 1258. The church was built in the 13th century. Today the chancel and the aisles are Gothic. The St. Mary’s chapel with a wonderful painting is an example of Baroque art. The Former monastery was erected between 13th and 15th centuries. In the 17th century it became an abbot’s palace. After the year 1810 it was converted into a duke’s dwelling. It’s being restored now, after the 1945 destruction. There are some permanent and temporary exhibitions held in the old abbey; some of them are about the culture of the order, decoration of eggs all over the world or about the life of the Upper Silesia forest. Exhibitions can be viewed from spring to autumn. There is the former duke’s park around the abbey. Here starts a bike path, 16 km long, leading through the forests of Rudy and an area burnt by fire in 1992. There are thematic charts along the path, describing the history of interesting places, fauna and flora specimen, issues concerning forest management and fire protection.